A small number of artefacts were collected during the excavation including fragments of pottery, ceramic objects, clay tobacco pipes and metalwork, all of which were in reasonably good condition.
Pottery and other ceramic objects
Amongst the fragments of pottery were several sherds of large red earthenware storage jars.
A large sherd of a mug depicting a view across Loch Katrine was found and can be dated to c 1810
A large fragment of a crucible which had clearly been used for the processing of metal alloys. The coarse fabric of the crucible comprised refractory material which was stained with the residues of melting a metal alloy – possibly bronze. The crucible may have been used in the Blacksmiths shop in the Colliery.
Thistle motif brick found on the site of the Boiler House
Clay tobacco pipes
Three fragments of clay tobacco pipes were recovered from the excavation. Two stem fragments found by volunteers and a complete pipe bowl unearthed by students from Holy Cross Primary School. They are undecorated so there is no indication of the manufacturer, however, the form of the pipe suggests it may have been made in the eighteenth century.
A range of metal objects were recovered from the excavation, although the majority appeared to be of a late date, and had probably been dumped on the site following the closure of the colliery. The most interesting metal object was undoubtedly the outer gauze of a miners flame safety lamp which was recovered from the upcast shaft engine room.