One of the earliest known photos of Jubilee Colliery is shown above taken c 1893. The photo provides a view across the pit bank and shows the timber headstock by the downcast shaft and its associated tall winding engine house with a tall arched window. The large building on the left is the coal crushing and washing plant behind the blacksmiths workshop and part of the tramway that enabled coal to be carried from the shaft to the crushing plant.
Above photo taken c 1893 shows a square chimney and the Jubilee bend.
This next photo from c 1900 shows some development of the site since 1893. The crushing and washing plant appears to have been renewed and enlarged and a new range housing offices and the lamp room can be seen in front of the winding engine house.
Above photograph is Jubilee Colliery in the 1930s shortly after the site closed. The photo shows the pit bank around the downcast shaft including the winding engine house, chimney and boiler house (missing its roof).
Jubilee Colliery shortly after it’s closure in the 1932. You can see the boiler house missing its roof and the bank of coke ovens to the left of the photo. Many of the buildings were demolished following its closure and the abandoned site was left to be reclaimed by nature.The terrace of 5 houses at the bottom left, shown on the 1909 ordnance survey map are still standing today and can be seen in the foreground of the photograph. These houses were owned by the company and were probably intended to house key employees at the colliery.
Many Thanks to Chris Wild and Ian Miller of Oxford Archaeology North for providing this information which has been extracted from the OAN final report. The project was funded by Heritage Lottery Fund.